Knowing what personal smart weather stations can do for you, will give you an idea if you need one or not.
The aim of this article is to run over the key features of this device and to give you an idea about how useful it will be. I know a lot of people will be wondering this because it is the first thing I thought about when I first saw one on the shelves.
I’m sure you are also wondering how it can benefit you versus a normal phone app. Let’s take a look at the differences.
How accurate are they?
The idea behind personal smart weather stations is to give you weather information based on your immediate location. This is particularly handy if you live a fair distance away from your cities’ common weather station.
So by referring to accuracy, it’s rather more about what’s accurate for your exact location.
If you live say 25 miles inland from your coastline, and your local weather station is based somewhere along the coastline, I’d say personal smart weather stations are worth it.
The reason, in this case, is clear, your weather readings are going to be different for your home than your weather report from your phone.
Which devices can show the weather information?
Most of the popular brands on the market have stations that can report to just about anything.
- Any web browser
Another way to access your weather station’s information is by using your voice activated assistant. You can ask Alexa or Google home to give you a quick weather report.
Some features can be dependent on extra sensors. In some case, they will have to be purchased separately to give you the extra functionality.
Here is a list of features that you can expect from them:
- Report access: Display weather data to most devices as I’ve already pointed out.
- Wi-Fi connectivity: Receive updates, data from neighboring devices in your area and receive data to all your devices.
- Temperature: Receive the current temperature from the local sensor on the device.
- Humidity: Get the exact humidity level in the air.
- Wind speed: A separate wind speed sensor allows you to get the exact wind speed.
- Air quality:
- Ventilation warning:
- Barometer: Always a good indicator of what the weather is about to do in the next short while.
- Weather forecast: Get the weather forecast for your location, not only using the internet but data from local sensors too.
- Voice assistant: Connect it up to Alexa to get information from simply asking.
- Alerts: Receive alerts to your devices when air quality drops or if you have set up certain alerts for levels of your choice for notifications.
Some other features
Some models of these stations can detect lightning. An alert can be sent to you when this occurs.
They can also help optimize your air conditioning to help save you on your power bill. This works with your smart thermostat to accomplish this.
You can have your garage door closed when the wind gets up too strong if you have a smart garage door opener.
Another useful feature is having it remind you to put sunscreen on a hot clear day. Set it up to control your smart sprinkler system to help save on water costs. Have your smart lights turn on when it gets dark.
This is a great way to have finer control of when your lights are turned on, rather than just relying on a timer schedule.
How much do they cost?
The cost of these types of systems varies quite a bit.
For an entry-level product, the price can be around $50 – $200.
Here are some examples:
- AcuRite 02007 Digital Home Weather System: $50
- La Crosse Technology V10: $47
- Netatmo Weather Station (Indoor Module): $90
- Netatmo Weather Station (Indoor and Outdoor): $180
- AcuRite 01013M: $200
- Davis Instruments Davis Vantage Vue: $300 – $670
- Davis Instruments Davis Vantage Pro2: $511 – $1077
The Netatmo Smart Weather Station is clearly the most popular on the market. I have not tested the product myself to tell you what it’s like.
Where are the best places to put each sensor?
The main base device can be put in any convenient place in your house.
Other sensors like the wind speed sensor or other outdoor sensors are mounted with the items provided in the kit.
Most sensors run off ordinary batteries. So you will have to replace them when they get low each time. Bearing this in mind, keep them as easily accessible as possible, for easy replacement.
The easiest way to set up your wind sensor is to mount it on a dedicated post or pole. Make sure the sensor is at least six feet high off the ground and has at least a 50 feet clear radius.
By tracking your environment’s readings, forecasts can be given.
Data can be given on the past and present, but getting these forecasts is obviously helpful in know what’s coming.
By taking the current temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and CO2 levels and other internet data into account, the software can calculate what the future weather could be.
The immediate future tends to be fairly accurate, but going days into the future is not going to be reliable. It’s the best-educated guess, so it’s to be taken with a grain of salt.
a smart weather station help maintain good health?
By knowing your level of air quality, steps can be taken to improve it. Some examples include:
- Keeping filters clean on your centralized heat pumps or air conditioners
- Make sure your furnace is well maintained
- Keep windows opened slightly at least when weather permits
Notification alerts can be sent to your mobile when the air quality isn’t up to a good enough quality level.
This is primarily achieved using a CO2 sensor. If these levels are too high, they can cause all sorts of issues for us.
I think that there is enough value in personal smart weather stations, in my view, to purchase one.
Having a more specific localized weather information is something that appeals to me more than just knowing what the weather for the general city is like.
As for the other features, like being able to connect up to my existing smart devices, is another plus. I initially thought, when I first saw this type of product, that it was a waste of money. But I have changed my mind and can see the benefits of it.
I hope this has provided you with the answers you needed and can make a better-informed purchase decision. Good luck.