How to Repair a Solid Blue Ring on Your Amazon Echo
So, you’ve noticed a solid blue ring on your Echo device and wondering what it is and how you’re going to get rid of it? Look no further, we will guide you through the steps needed to solve this issue.
Initial steps to solve the solid blue light on an Amazon Echo device:
1. Power it off and wait five minutes before plugging it back into power.
2. Perform a factory reset.
3. Make sure that the Do Not Disturb feature is turned off.
4. Try another power supply adapter.
5. Check your Wifi connection.
But before we begin, I’d like to point out that there are different types of blue rings on an Echo.
So let’s go through a few things to make sure that we track down the specific problem plaguing your Echo.
What is a solid blue ring on an Echo exactly?
This is when your Echo has a blue ring on the light ring around the Alexa device.
To be more thorough, here are some examples of blue rings:
- A solid blue ring with spinning cyan lights: This is showing you that the Echo is starting up. If it continues for longer than 20 minutes, change your power supply, and try again. If that doesn’t work, try performing a full reset.
- Solid blue with cyan mixed in somewhere: Alexa is busy processing or listening out for your request. If it remains stuck doing this, try powering it off for five minutes and power it back on.
- Spinning blue light ending with a purple light: Use your app to turn off the do not disturb mode.
Now that you know which type of blue ring is for what let’s move on to the finer details of fixing the issue.
Steps to fix the solid blue ring on an Echo
Follow these steps until the problem is eliminated. I will start with the simplest one first to hopefully solve the issue with the least amount of work.
1. Make sure your Wifi is connected and working
It is important that your Wifi connection is active and that it’s working reliably. Avoid having your Alexa device too far away from your Wifi router.
Try and keep it within a 120 feet radius.
You can check that your network is connected by following these steps:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Select your Alexa device.
- Select Update Wi-Fi.
- You should see the network listed that’s connected to your Echo device.
However, this doesn’t mean everything is necessarily perfect, but at the very least, you’ll know that you are connected to a Wifi connection.
2. Power your Echo off and on again
Remove the power connector from your Echo device and wait 5 minutes. After that, plug it back in and wait for the startup process to finish, which will also be indicated by a blue ring and spinning cyan lights.
If that didn’t fix it, continue to the next step.
3. Ensure the Do Not Disturb feature is turned off
Most commonly, you will see a spinning blue light ending with a purple light.
The simplest way to turn do not disturb off is to open your Alexa app and select Devices, select your device, and select Do Not Disturb. Make sure it is set to off.
4. Perform a reset
This step will help you eliminate any blue ring issues by resetting everything back to a factory standard.
Press and hold down the Action button for 25 seconds. You will see the light ring pulse with an orange color and will proceed to shut itself down.
Wait for the light ring to come back on and turn blue.
The light ring will then turn orange, indicating that the device has entered into the setup mode.
This was the procedure for the 3rd and 4th generation Echo Dot. Please refer to your specific model’s reset procedure if this isn’t specific to your device.
Another option is to use your Alexa app to perform the reset, in which case, you’d want to open the app, select Devices, select your device, select the Echo & Alexa icon at the top and scroll down to Factory Reset and select it. Confirm to move forward with the reset.
5. Try a different power supply
Look to local or online stores if you don’t have a spare power supply for your Alexa device.
If all else fails, try looking for one for your exact model on Amazon.
Buying a replacement is quite affordable and comes in quite handy when you have a spare, in case this step doesn’t fix the problem.
If you are lucky enough to have one end of the Alexa device’s power adapter cord equipped with a USB connector, you can try plugging it into a laptop, computer, or any other device with a USB to see if your power adapter is the culprit.
Make sure, however, that you are purchasing a good quality item and that it isn’t an unknown brand without any user ratings. A good power supply is crucial to smooth and reliable operation.
After replacing the power supply, power your Echo back on with the new power supply and wait a few minutes for it to start back up.
There are many things that can cause a solid blue ring on an Echo. But these steps will be the best you can do to try and eliminate the issue short of sending it back to the place you originally purchased it from.
We all like to find the easiest fix first, which I hope this article helped you accomplish.