To set up a smart plug into an outlet, plug in the device you want to automate and download the dedicated app on your phone. Pair the plug with the device through the app. You can also pair it with your smart speaker to turn your devices on or off by issuing voice commands.
Steps On How to Set Up a Smart Plug
Setting up a smart plug is simple and easy. Your smart plug will come with a setup instruction guide. All you need to do is follow the steps.
These steps may vary in different smart plug brands, but the basics are the same:
- Plug your smart plug into a wall socket. The adaptor would be chunky against the flat electric outlet, so you might need to move some of your furniture to give more clearance slightly.
- Download the manufacturer’s or brand’s app on your smartphone. Your smart plug manufacturer has a dedicated mobile app; you can get it from Google Play or the Apple App Store. Through this app, you can receive more information about how to use it. After downloading, set up your account.
- Pair your smart plug with the app. When your app is ready, it will give you a selection of smart products your manufacturer offers. So, select the name of your plug. You will then receive a series of instructions on how to go about pairing your app with your smart plug.
- Connect your plug to your home Wi-Fi network. Pairing your app with it will connect your device to your home’s wireless network. Your app and plug will communicate through the internet, so both your smartphone and your plug must access a wireless network. Your app’s step-by-step guide on pairing also includes instructions on how to connect your plug to your Wi-Fi.
- Plug your non-smart device into it. Plug in the device or appliance you wish to automate. You can label or name your device so you don’t confuse it with other devices you may wish to automate via smart plug later. Some apps even allow you to take photos of your devices to make it easier and more convenient.
- Connect your plug to your smart speaker. You can connect it to your smart plug if you have one, like Amazon Echo or Google Home. This way, you can control it by issuing voice commands. That means you don’t need to whip your smartphone out to turn it on or off at home. You can say it out loud to Alexa or Google Assistant, and they’d relay the message to your smart plug.
If you have an Amazon smart plug, you can set it up by following the instructions here.
What Is a Smart Plug?
Smart or Wi-Fi plugs are a great way to get started if you want to convert your home into an energy-efficient home.
With a smart plug, you don’t need to eliminate all your non-smart devices and replacements in one go. There are ordinary devices and appliances that you can convert by simply plugging them into a smart plug.
A smart plug is a small adaptor that you can plug into any regular electric socket on your wall, and you can connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
It comes with a dedicated app that you can install on your smartphone or tablet, and you can remotely control whatever device you decide to plug into it through this app.
How Does a Smart Plug Work?
A smart plug will make it easy to control and automate your small, non-smart appliances and devices at home.
The most basic function it can perform is to allow you to turn your device on or off remotely by cutting off its power supply using its dedicated app on your smartphone or tablet.
Just imagine being in bed and suddenly remembering you haven’t turned the lights on your Christmas tree off for the night, which makes it a fire hazard.
You don’t need to get up and head downstairs because you can use your smartphone to do the job and turn off your smart plug.
And even if you’re already out of the house, you can check the smart plug app to ensure you didn’t leave anything on.
No more going back or beating yourself up while you’re in the office just because you forgot whether you turned your fan off or unplugged your flat iron. Smart plugs also help ensure you don’t go home to a dark and cold house.
The ability to control certain devices and appliances remotely can also help make your home safe. So even if you are away on a trip, being able to turn your plug on and light up your house can deter would-be burglars and discourage break-ins.
Other Advanced Smart Plug Features
Some brands also allow you to set schedules for your smart plugs. The plug can automatically turn on and off at specific times, so even if you forget about certain devices or appliances, the plug’s got you covered.
There are also smart plugs that let you monitor your energy consumption. This way, you’d know which appliances consume so much electricity and which are energy-efficient.
Then some check the temperature of your wall electric socket to keep it from overheating.
If you have a smart speaker like Amazon Echo or Google Home, you can also get a smart speaker to connect it with. This means that you will be able to control your smart plug by issuing voice commands.
Because smart plugs come in different shapes and sizes and are made by different manufacturers, you need to consider the different features and capabilities they offer. Pick the ones that offer you the features and connectivity options.
Does a Smart Plug Need Wi-Fi?
You will need a stable and strong Wi-Fi connection for your smart plug to work. For one, your smart plug allows you to control your plugged-in devices through a dedicated mobile app, and your plug and app can only communicate via a wireless internet connection.